The good news is that cartridge (Saturn Gamer's cartridge) and its firmware (Pseudo Saturn Kai) are more or less ready for release
After release, project sources (PCB design files, and Pseudo Saturn Kai source code) will be publicly available, and few carts (not a lot) will be available for sale.
The bad news is that there are still few thing I would like to improve before release.
Among theses things I would like to improve, there is a custom label for cartridge case : I'm currently using second hand Action Replay cases for my project, and really don't like Action Replay label.
In fact, I removed theses ugly labels ... it was hard to do (I don't know why they're using glue so strong !), but I really couldn't stand theses out-fashioned labels
Rather than designing label by myself, it's probably better to ask everybody about their favorite design for Gamer's cartridge label !
In fact, as labels will be printed by batch of 12 per page, it's OK to print different labels at once, then, let future user choosing his favorite label when ordering cartridge :)
1. Width : 946 pixels, Height : 592 pixels.
Adding some margin around your label is encouraged.
Of course, larger images are accepted, but please respect image ratio, and please keep in mind that it will be resized to 946x592 when adding text or small details.
2. Image format supported on my PC : PNG or JPG.
(Please ask if you prefer other format.)
3. Display following cartridge description text in English :
Saturn Gamer's cartridge
✔ Plays CD-R game backups. (※)
✔ Memory Cartridge. (※)
× Cartridge RAM.
× Play games from SD card.
(※) Some games may be incompatible.
4. Copyrighted images usage forbidden.
5. Deadline : a couple of weeks (= middle of May 2016).
6. You allow me to re-use your label in this and future projects.
- If possible, please use plain color (black, white, or anything else) for label outline : as labels will be hand-cutted, I plan to add some margin around label itself, in order to avoid defect due to bad cut. (2017/03/12: my friend Darius does good job regarding label cutting, so the outline is not required )
- It's OK to add some non-English text, but in this case, you need to display cartridge description text in English, as described in rule 3.
- (Added 2017/03/12) Please use relatively large font for text on the label so that it can be readable after printing. At 946x592 dimensions, recommended text height is over 25 pixels. This obviously depends on font used, contrast with neighboring background, etc.
- (Added 2017/03/12) It's OK to remove the "× Cartridge RAM." and "× Play games from SD card." messages if theses doesn't fits in the label.
- Your name in Pseudo Saturn Kai firmware credits
How to submit :
Please submit your label here in the comment of this article, or directly by contacting me.
In both cases, file can't be uploaded, so please provide your label(s) via external host site (imgur, sendspace, or anything else).
You can also submit your label to Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread on segaxtreme forums.
- I may reject dull/offendant/whatever label(s).
- Cartridge case will be available in both black or white colors, and black will be the most available color.
- Custom label for USB dev cart is welcome too.
Want to make your own label ? Great :)
And want some stuff to start from ? No problem, you can find some cartridge pictures below :
Cow logo, used in cartridge PCB :
- vache.gif : initial image from which everything started.
- vache0.bmp : first version of vache logo (silkscreen only, bottom of the PCB).
- logo_vache.png : latest version of vache logo (silkscreen, solder mask, top right of the PCB).
- vache_06_2_2+cornes2_-_finale.png : pixel art image used to make logo_vache.png.
Pictures of cartridge PCBs :
- 20140314_rev2a_front.jpg : Rev 2a cartridge : Gamer's cartridge ancestor, nothing worked.
- 20140918_vmem_first_ver_sat.jpg : First time Virtual Memory Cart worked on real hardware : PCB and dev Saturn used at that time.
- 20140918_vmem_first_ver_tv.jpg : First time Virtual Memory Cart worked on real hardware : debug stuff displayed on sreen.
- 20150628_rev2f_front.jpg : My Rev 2f cartridge used to debug Pseudo Saturn Kai.
- 20150718_memcart.png : Rev 3.1 cartridge preview, last step before ordering it to PCB house.
- 20160119_logo1.jpg : Cow logo, from vache0.bmp.
- 20160119_logo2.jpg : Cow logo, logo_vache.png (available in Rev 3.3 and Rev 3.3a PCB only).
- 20160126_rev33_front.jpg : Rev 3.3 PCB, front side.
- 20160224_rev33_raw.jpg : Rev 3.3 PCB, ICs except SD card socket unsoldered.
- 20160305_rev33a_front.jpg : Rev 3.3a PCB, front side.
- 20160315_rev31_back.jpg : Rev 3.1 PCB, rear side.
- 20160318_pskai_main_screen.jpg : Pseudo Saturn Kai main screen.
- 20160324_rev32_rear.jpg : Rev 3.2 cartridge rear side.
Images related to USB dev cart :
- 20120709_usb_dev_cart_logo.jpg : My favorite logo for USB dev cart
- 20160308_routing_printout.jpg : very old (Rev 1c proto ?) routing printout.
Not interested in designing a cartridge label, but interested in Saturn cartridge ?
No problem, the Saturn Homebrew Cartridges's gallery section is waiting for you
Saturn Homebrew Cartridges gallery
Click on the link if you want to see more