So I'm currently preparing next batch of Gamer's Cartridge, and am glad to introduce new PCB color
Gamer's Cartridge PCBs in various colors
I unfortunately didn't had blue Rev 3.3 (b) PCB when taking the picture above ... in fact, it's a long time I didn't soldered blue PCBs
The main interest in soldering PCBs with different colors is to make soldering activity funny, which is important for me since cartridges are assembled by hand : if making cartridges would become boring, I would prefer to stop everything rather than automatize assembly process !
My impressions after soldering a black PCB are ... a bit mixed : yeah, the PCB looks cool, but there's no contrast between tracks and isolated areas, so I definitely wouldn't use this color for new projects
One example of this lack of contrast can be found in cow logo, whose rendering is terrible in black color :
Cow logo on black PCB ... playing hide and seek
Among PCB colors I tried so far, I personally prefer ... standard green color, and then maybe red color. Also, I still didn't tested yellow color, so let's try it on next batch I fear that contrast won't be better than on green PCB however
Read more New PCB Color !
More than 11 years ago (from winter 2005 ?), I had a "donate" page stating something like "send your money and I will make cool things for Saturn on my free time".
During there 11 years, I received 15 US dollars.
And within theses 15 US dollars, I declined 10 because they were generously donated in exchange of "future help" in making a game for Saturn.
So that's something like 45 cents per year, which is also around 3.8 cents per month. I didn't checked in details, but that should be something like one Skittles per week. Not one bag of Skittles, but one bloody skittles. Per. Week
Fortunately, this era now ends, because I officially announce that I changed my donation system from "send your money and I will make cool things for Saturn on my free time" to "Send everything except money, and I will make cool things for Saturn on my free time. And even if you don't donate anything, I will make cool things for Saturn on my free time anyway."
More details can be found on my donate page
And to make it clear : the motivation to change donation system is not related to money : I just spoke about money received so far in order to write something funny in my blog
I make Saturn things for fun, and not for money. As some examples, I started to design rev2f PCB in hospital room from one week after undergoing cancer surgery, and Virtual Memory Cartridge add-on for Pseudo Saturn Kai was developed and tested during my post surgery chemotherapy. Theses helped a lot to think about something else than medical things during theses times.
I don't say that Kicad and gcc are a cure for cancer (), but theses were very good help however.
And to make it clearer : yes, I sell Saturn cartridges, but no I don't make a living from selling theses. I'm not even sure I produce enough carts in order to pay every-day's breakfast from cartridges sales benefits
Read more PPcenter donation system updated !
Out of stock ":]". I'm glad to have finished this batch
I don't plan to sell Gamer's Cartridge for a while, because stock of parts to build theses cartridges (electronics components, PCBs, labels, etc) is currently very low here. I'm even lacking of bubble paper used when shipping cartridges
So, what's next ? Of course, Saturn stuff I plan to use this "break" in cartridges manufacturing and sales in order to continue Pseudo Saturn Kai development.
Main feature to add is cheat codes, which is a bit "heavy" one to implement, because processing in order to make cheat codes working isn't documented in details.
But that will be done ! Also, there are some side quests here and there regarding Pseudo Saturn Kai features. I plan to implement as far I can, so it will be limited only by my free time, my motivation, and flash ROM remaining on cartridge
Gerber preview before ordering PCB on
Seeed Studio, very classy and realistic
: finally back in stock
I catched the occasion to make some minor improvements to my homepage, such as adding anchor link to some sections, adding some directions for Japanese users, etc ... and I'm already full up with writing HTML Edit (2017/05/12)
: half of the stock already reserved oO
Cartridges are assembled by hand, hence stock is small, but I'm impressed anyway
Read more Gamer's Cartridge out of stock :]
Finally available :]
Last June, I initially wanted to release Saturn Gamer's Cartridge with custom label, but some unexpected problems regarding label quality (not resistant to water) delayed its release, consequently, Gamer's Cartridges manufactured until now had only shell, but no label.
"Stronger" label retained for use by Gamer's Cartridge is designed for car tuning purpose, so waterproof, and even alcohol proof ! I suppose this will satisfy the requirements of typical Gamer's Cartridge user
(※) Just a (common sense) note : while labels are waterproof, cartridges themselves aren't So no, you still can't play Saturn while taking a bath
Cartridges with their labels.
Bottom-right one (without LEDs) is USB dev cart.
Custom labels were the last main milestone regarding Gamer's Cartridge design : I won't design custom boxes for my cartridges.
Why ? Because I want Gamer's Cartridge users to ... use their cartridges, not collect (shelf) them
You are Saturn Gamer ? Want to share your Saturn saves with your emulator or friends ? Want to enjoy Dezaemon 2 game but don't want to purchase a modchip + memory cartridge ? Then Saturn Gamer's Cartridge is for you
Special thanks to my friend Darius who selected paper, printed labels sheet, and cut each labels
Darius provided pictures he took when cutting labels, so please enjoy the labels making-of
Label sheet scanned just after print-out.
Red/blue lines are used as help when cutting labels.
Tools used : ruler and cutter.
And also Darius' God Hand and eyes (not pictured)
In order to optimize time , labels are first cut row per row. After row cutting, labels are cut individually
Read more Cartridge labels available !
Good and bad news for people interested in my cartridge .
The good news is that cartridge (Saturn Gamer's cartridge) and its firmware (Pseudo Saturn Kai) are more or less ready for release
After release, project sources (PCB design files, and Pseudo Saturn Kai source code) will be publicly available, and few carts (not a lot) will be available for sale.
The bad news is that there are still few thing I would like to improve before release.
Among theses things I would like to improve, there is a custom label for cartridge case : I'm currently using second hand Action Replay cases for my project, and really don't like Action Replay label.
In fact, I removed theses ugly labels ... it was hard to do (I don't know why they're using glue so strong !), but I really couldn't stand theses out-fashioned labels
Rather than designing label by myself, it's probably better to ask everybody about their favorite design for Gamer's cartridge label !
In fact, as labels will be printed by batch of 12 per page, it's OK to print different labels at once, then, let future user choosing his favorite label when ordering cartridge :)
1. Width : 946 pixels, Height : 592 pixels.
Adding some margin around your label is encouraged.
Of course, larger images are accepted, but please respect image ratio, and please keep in mind that it will be resized to 946x592 when adding text or small details.
2. Image format supported on my PC : PNG or JPG.
(Please ask if you prefer other format.)
3. Display following cartridge description text in English :
Saturn Gamer's cartridge
✔ Plays CD-R game backups. (※)
✔ Memory Cartridge. (※)
× Cartridge RAM.
× Play games from SD card.
(※) Some games may be incompatible.
4. Copyrighted images usage forbidden.
5. Deadline : a couple of weeks (= middle of May 2016).
6. You allow me to re-use your label in this and future projects.
- If possible, please use plain color (black, white, or anything else) for label outline : as labels will be hand-cutted, I plan to add some margin around label itself, in order to avoid defect due to bad cut. (2017/03/12: my friend Darius does good job regarding label cutting, so the outline is not required )
- It's OK to add some non-English text, but in this case, you need to display cartridge description text in English, as described in rule 3.
- (Added 2017/03/12) Please use relatively large font for text on the label so that it can be readable after printing. At 946x592 dimensions, recommended text height is over 25 pixels. This obviously depends on font used, contrast with neighboring background, etc.
- (Added 2017/03/12) It's OK to remove the "× Cartridge RAM." and "× Play games from SD card." messages if theses doesn't fits in the label.
- Your name in Pseudo Saturn Kai firmware credits
How to submit :
Please submit your label here in the comment of this article, or directly by contacting me.
In both cases, file can't be uploaded, so please provide your label(s) via external host site (imgur, sendspace, or anything else).
You can also submit your label to Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread on segaxtreme forums.
- I may reject dull/offendant/whatever label(s).
- Cartridge case will be available in both black or white colors, and black will be the most available color.
- Custom label for USB dev cart is welcome too.
Want to make your own label ? Great :)
And want some stuff to start from ? No problem, you can find some cartridge pictures below :
Cow logo, used in cartridge PCB :
- vache.gif : initial image from which everything started.
- vache0.bmp : first version of vache logo (silkscreen only, bottom of the PCB).
- logo_vache.png : latest version of vache logo (silkscreen, solder mask, top right of the PCB).
- vache_06_2_2+cornes2_-_finale.png : pixel art image used to make logo_vache.png.
Pictures of cartridge PCBs :
- 20140314_rev2a_front.jpg : Rev 2a cartridge : Gamer's cartridge ancestor, nothing worked.
- 20140918_vmem_first_ver_sat.jpg : First time Virtual Memory Cart worked on real hardware : PCB and dev Saturn used at that time.
- 20140918_vmem_first_ver_tv.jpg : First time Virtual Memory Cart worked on real hardware : debug stuff displayed on sreen.
- 20150628_rev2f_front.jpg : My Rev 2f cartridge used to debug Pseudo Saturn Kai.
- 20150718_memcart.png : Rev 3.1 cartridge preview, last step before ordering it to PCB house.
- 20160119_logo1.jpg : Cow logo, from vache0.bmp.
- 20160119_logo2.jpg : Cow logo, logo_vache.png (available in Rev 3.3 and Rev 3.3a PCB only).
- 20160126_rev33_front.jpg : Rev 3.3 PCB, front side.
- 20160224_rev33_raw.jpg : Rev 3.3 PCB, ICs except SD card socket unsoldered.
- 20160305_rev33a_front.jpg : Rev 3.3a PCB, front side.
- 20160315_rev31_back.jpg : Rev 3.1 PCB, rear side.
- 20160318_pskai_main_screen.jpg : Pseudo Saturn Kai main screen.
- 20160324_rev32_rear.jpg : Rev 3.2 cartridge rear side.
Images related to USB dev cart :
- 20120709_usb_dev_cart_logo.jpg : My favorite logo for USB dev cart
- 20160308_routing_printout.jpg : very old (Rev 1c proto ?) routing printout.
Not interested in designing a cartridge label, but interested in Saturn cartridge ?
No problem, the Saturn Homebrew Cartridges's gallery section is waiting for you
Saturn Homebrew Cartridges gallery
Click on the link if you want to see more
: All the images above can be used without restrictions.
: everything is now available here
Future contributions are always welcome Re-edit
: here is what it looks like after printing :
Gamer's Cartridges with labels
Thanks to jjennings089
for label design and printing
Read more Wanted : custom cartridge label